May 7, 2020
In episode 105, we talk all about the importance of self-worth.
What does it mean to have self-worth, and where does it come
Whether we are an established thought leader or we are rising in
our leadership and impact, one of our most important
responsibilities to our people is helping them remember the
importance of self-worth and navigate through self-worth squalls
that come up as they seek to take action on their goals.
I refer to self-worth squalls as moments in your life that feel
like they have come out of nowhere, and with excessive speed, wind
you into a storm – a storm where you question everything you think
you know about yourself, your voice, and your power. However, every
squall can give us a gift – that’s the importance of
Given this new, unprecedented moment we are in, we are tasked
with helping our clients process their very legitimate fears
surrounding our current reality – as well as what life after the
COVID-19 pandemic will look like. Amongst COVID-19, the importance
of self-worth is as critical as ever.
And, as I share in episode 105, we can’t help our clients or are
people remember the importance of self-worth if we struggle with
our own self-worth.
In addition to remembering that, when a self-worth squall
emerges, it’s happening for you and not to you, in this episode I
- Why trying to control a person, a situation, and even ourselves
can be the worst thing for our self-worth – and what to do instead
(Hint: It has a lot to do with surrender.)
- I talk about the “Hollywood voiceover strategy” and why it’s so
helpful for grit and resilience.
- Why quick wins can help us come home to our voices and reclaim
- To consistently step into thought leadership, your why has to
be greater than your fear.
- How occasional self-worth squalls can give us lots of gifts,
including a deeper connection to joy.
- We don’t have to hold on to other people’s energies. We have to
learn to let these things go.
In This Episode:
- Why 2019 was a tough year for me [ 3:10 ]
- Can you keep yourself out of a self-worth squall? [ 8:00 ]
- How to navigate a self-worth squall [ 10:20 ]
- Think about the lesson behind your self-worth squall [ 14:30
- Our self-worth squall moments can provide us gifts [ 19:10
- What are we holding onto that isn’t ours to keep? [ 24:50
- “We often underestimate our capacity for handling discomfort.
And we often over-estimate how long we are going to be
- “Everything is happening for you.”
- “We must be committed to self-compassion.”
- “Resilience is defined both as the capacity to recover quickly
from difficulties and as the ability of a substance or object to
spring back into shape.”
- “Self-worth squalls can give us the gift of creativity.”
- Curious how we can jam together to amplify your speaking,
create game-changing speaking content, and advance your thought
leadership? Check out my coaching options.
- Follow me on Instagram @alexiavernon.
- Want to go from a hot mess (or best-kept secret) as a
speaker and thought leader to a go-to, trusted
Grab my 9 Mistakes Coaches, Consultants, and Experts
Make as Speakers (and How to Avoid Them) here.